Chances are if you have kids, you probably also have a calendar hanging on your wall with a very important date circled in red. That’s right, winter break is creeping up on parents everywhere. And before you know it, the kids will be whining that they’re bored while your sanity quickly fades.
It’s okay, we parents gotta stick together. We have a few kid-approved activities that’ll help you survive the extended holiday break!
At home DIY activities
- Make holiday cards for the troops or the elderly.
- Make a gingerbread house. (With or without a kit.)
- Decorate cookies. (Hey Sugar Shop in Rock Hill has a great kit.)
- Build a blanket fort.
- Make candy cane ornaments out of pipe cleaners and beads.
- Bake & decorate homemade tree ornaments.
- Paint thumbprint string lights
- Make these adorable spare sock snowmen!
- Drive around to look at Christmas lights
- Bundle up for walk with hot cocoa
- Family board game night
- Living room campout to watch holiday films with a picnic dinner
- Bake holiday cookies
NC Local Events (Kings Mountain, Concord, Charlotte, Pineville, Ballantyne)
- Hounds Drive-In in Kings Mountain is showing Elf! $15 per car–cash only; concessions on site. Shows begin at dusk (7PM).
- Speedway Christmas Lights at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. The show runs November 19- December 31. Click here for pricing information and to purchase tickets. Aside from the light show, they also have Fox 46 movie nights on the giant speedway TV every Thursday-Sunday. Their schedule includes:
- Nov. 19 – “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”
- Nov. 23 – 26 – “Frosty’s Winter Wonderland”
- Nov. 30 – Dec. 3 – “Fred Claus”
- Dec. 7 – 10 – “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”
- Dec. 14 – 17 – “Elf”
- Dec. 18 – 24 – “The Polar Express”
- Dec. 28 – 30 – “Frozen”
- Holiday on Ice in Uptown Charlotte. $10 admission with $4 skate rental. Cash only. Skate as long as you want for your $10 admission. Just want to watch? That’s free!
- Kid-Friendly Holiday Open House–Cookies, Cocoa & New Ornament DIY Crafting at AR Workshop in Pineville, NC.
- Crafting DIY Workshops at various Home Depot locations. Workshops include Stocking holders, holiday shelf, ornament, and gingerbread house!
We sure do hope these activities help you keep your sanity this holiday season!
Stumbled across this post? Great! We’re so glad you’ve stopped by! We’re Carolina Power Washing, and we provide Mecklenburg County, the greater Charlotte Metro area, and Fort Mill, SC with premier power washing, house washing, and gutter cleaning services! To learn more or to get a free quote, click here!