As the world starts counting down to pumpkin spice everything, that For Sale sign you placed in your yard this Spring just taunts you. You were certain your home would move quickly, but every showing yields crickets and frustration. The house needs to sell, and it needs to sell fast.
We have Ryan Wilson, a Broker & Realtor from Allen Tate Company, with us today. He’s generously sharing his top five tips to help you sell your home quickly!
- First Impressions – The first thing we always start with is curb appeal. We want to grab the buyer’s attention as soon as they pull into the driveway, make them feel at home! I always tell my sellers to pressure wash the exterior of the home, driveway, and sidewalks (hey, we know a company!) along with tidying up the landscape – trim bushes, put out fresh mulch/pine needles around trees/garden beds, and fill planters with fresh, bright (I suggest yellow) flowers.
- Declutter and De-Personalize! – To put it nicely, start packing! Less is more when trying to sell your home. Buyers need to envision each space as their own and the best way to do this is removing anything that can catch their attention (personal photographs, distracting artwork, knick knacks). Tidy up shelves and clear off all surfaces (kitchen counters, refrigerator, cabinet tops, dressers, bathroom vanities). Remove any excess furniture. In addition to seeing the space as their own, we want buyers to be able to move around and get a feel for the space without feeling cramped.
- Neutralize! – As a seller, it is always easy to assume that the new buyers would want to pick and choose their own paint colors, but this is not typically the case! Most buyers are looking for move-in ready, wild paint colors can often be a very big turn off! I always suggest a neutral paint color in the main living areas (family room, kitchen, dining room, and master suites). We’ve found that Sherwin Williams “Agreeable Gray” and Benjamin Moore “Revere Pewter” are always crowd pleasers!
- Deep Clean – Bathrooms can be deal breakers. Clean out any mold/mildew/soap scum in showers, tubs, and bathroom areas. Add fresh caulking around sinks/showers/countertops. Clear out cobwebs from corners, clean dust off fans, and wash those windows (inside and out)!
- HIRE A REALTOR – Don’t try to sell your home by yourself. A Realtor will be able to market and sell your home much quicker and likely for a higher price than you will. They will be able to get your home the visibility it needs and in front of the right buyers. This is the biggest investment of your life–don’t make the mistake of not having a professional by your side!
Thank you, Ryan! We’re sure our readers will appreciate these tips!
Ryan Wilson is a Broker and Realtor with Allen Tate Company in Huntersville, NC. When he’s not working in Real Estate, he spends his time serving as a volunteer and professional firefighter. His mission is to make your home buying or selling experience as stress-free and enjoyable as possible!